Monday, February 4, 2013

Blog Post #3

title:
Peer Editing
 The video says we need to follow 3 simple techniques in peer editing.

  • Compliments: Stay Positive
  • Suggestions: Specifics
  • Corrections: Grammatical, writing
 Even though with these three bits of information, it is evident that this is taught to third graders. By this I mean it is simple, effective, and polite. Constructive criticism is always the best way to go; no one responds to constant negativity. When we give suggestions we are to pinpoint details that the author could be different. And finally, we make corrections. Any sentence structure errors, punctuation errors, or capitalization errors should not escape the editor.

On a different note, I agree with the slideshow, Peer editing is a great way to get to know your classmates as well as sharpening your editing and comprehension skills. These skills can be used to better edit ones own writing in the future. It also helps us learn how to properly use constructive criticism. As future educators, I would have to say that tearing someone down is not going to help anyone involved. Positive reinforcement and praise when deserved is ALWAYS going to be the most effective way to peer edit.

Assisting Technologies
            This video talks about how little is done for children with sensory disabilities.I actually just participated in EPY 315's DAD activity. With this activity I had to be blindfolded, was put in a wheel chair, had to read with a mirror, and lost the use of my small motor skills. I was asked after each activity, how I would cater to each disability as a teacher. And it really got me thinking. How do we assist disabled children individually, while still treating them fairly. Most of the time the disabled children only want to be treated the same as everyone else. There are tools such as Easy Readers that help dyslexic children read better. Or you can read aloud to the visually impaired students. But I honestly don't know how I would react. I would do everything I could to help them learn. My heart is too big to treat them like the rest of the class. I would, in a way, have to train myself to be fair beyond reason. 

1 comment:

  1. You do not summarize the material on Assistive Technologies. We only learn about your reactions. Other than the title we cannot be sure you watched the material.

    Where is your summary of Vicki Davis? Where are the comments you have about her approach to teaching and the use of technology?

    ReplyDelete